Saturday, June 19, 2010

Social media is an amazing tool. It connects us to a vast network of people and allows us to interact with them at many levels with consistency. Twitter and Facebook are two of the most popular social media applications used today. Like any tool, it can be misused. Here is my checklist to make sure you're not a social media loser. I'm guilty at times, of not having gone through my own checklist (except for #1 of course).




1) Am I intoxicated? If "yes" then shut down the computer or turn off the mobile device and get counseling. No? Proceed to step 2. (This may seem like a "no brainer" but based on what I read sometimes - I wonder!)

2) Is anyone out there really interested what I'm going to say - or is it meaningless dribble?

3) Am I ranting on one of "my pet peeves" or standing on my "soap box"?

4) Do I ever say something personal or do I only use social media to promote my company, organization, product or brand?

5) If I'm a Christian, am I using "Christian speak" that nobody out side of the church crowd will understand or relate to?

6) How many times have I tweeted today? More than 10 tweets and I risk having people unfollow me to avoid my chatter.

7) Do my postings have some comic relief and if they do, is my humor appropriate?

7) Have I remembered "Steve's rule"? This post could make me look good or show the world that I'm an idiot!

And two from my friend Maurilio Amorim (www.maurilioamorim.com)

9) If using Twitter, am I keeping my post under 120 characters so it can be "retweeted"?

10) Again with Twitter - How can I say this in a more interesting way with fewer characters?

Do you have any to add to my list?

4 comments:

  1. #6 I think the number of tweets depends on how interesting the content happens to be. Some of the most successful Tweeters have daily totals in excess of 30 a day. Also, bad if the total (whatever it is) are all posted at the same time so that a whole page is filled with one face. Scatter them out through the day. My thoughts anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could come up with 30 meaningful tweets a day! I agree with spreading them out. If you use a smartphone, scrolling through multiple postings from the same individual is tedious. Many people today do not use a computer or laptop to access social media.

    Unfortunately, I've seen dozens of tweets a day from the same individual which are not always compelling. For example, giving a play by play of a sports event or a conference they are attending. Of course, you always have the option of unfollowing them until the event is over. Problem is, you might forget to start following them again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. I wonder about those who follow several thousand people. I don't know how they find meaningful tweets in that flood of tweets. ... I get tired of those who tweet "I'm at restaurant/mall/etc." Who cares?

    The real strength, I have heard, of Twitter, is the interaction between follower and followed. I guess that's why it's call social media. Just the same, it all takes a lot of time and concentration.

    To be fair, though, I guess there are many different "purposes" for Twitter. So different priorities for content, and frequency of tweets. I try to mix promotion, interaction, inspiration, and chit chat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,
    You're right: there many different reasons to tweet. Some of informative, others are entertaining, some educational or inspirational. And frankly, some people just live their existence as an open book. But the question to ask is "Am I doing what I set out to do?" If my intention is to be informational, do then I should always ask before sending a tweet out: Is this information people need or want? The most successful people I follow have a mix of personal and whatever else they want to do. It's always great to see the real person behind the tweet.

    ReplyDelete